Wednesday 12 January 2011

{love} the Nani Iro double gauze wedding quilt


 I so enjoyed making this. Every single part of it; from choosing the fabrics, and receiving it in the post, to designing and cutting and sewing. Then laying it out on our bed, deciding on how best to 'quilt' it, what stitching lines, etc.

I use the term 'quilt' quite loosely. As this doesn't have any intricate 1/8th of inches measurements or design fancies like that. And there's no binding - that is still something that is beyond my mental process abilities; though I do have feelings that if I just sat down and did it, then the binding wouldn't be too much of an issue - just have to leap that wall in my head telling myself it's too hard!

I used a bamboo + cotton batting, which is really soft, not too thick. This isn't a deep Winter snowing country quilt; more like a light Autumn / Spring NZ weather quilt. 

It was Sam's suggestion of the slightly waving lines of quilting, rather than straight lines following the straight rectangles of fabric. It's good having someone around to help with things like that - who looks at things properly (rather than a fleeting glance), and thinks about it. It wouldn't have worked with straight lines, the waves are exactly what this quilt needed. 


Working with the Nani Iro is so so so lovely. I could have done basically anything with these designs and colours and it would have been beautiful. The whole collection of fabrics I bought are simply divine (except this one, which was a totally different colour in real than on screen, and I'm not sure I can use it for anything - perhaps I'll overdye it at some later stage). The double gauze is soft, buttery, luscious, delicious; it's beautiful beautiful beautiful to feel, to snuggle up to. 

The only one 'thing' (problem/issue?) with the double gauze that I found was the top piece of fabric/layer (each piece of fabric is two layers of gauze, hence the name "double gauze", and I sewed two pieces of fabric together, which meant four layers of gauze) slipped forward while I was sewing. My feed dog obviously took the bottom piece of fabric, while the top piece clung slightly to my machine foot and didn't move along at the same pace.* This meant that there were little puckers at the end of each seam (as the fabric on the top slipped so it was longer than the fabric underneath); but I think they didn't matter too much, in the end. And the little puckers will only add to the beauty of the quilt, as it ages and washes and puckers more and more; won't it!

While sewing this, for my dear friend's wedding gift, I remembered things about our growing up together. The plays and performances and shows and art works and stories and feuds and making up and teenager-hood and growing and learning together. Becoming parents at similar times, though on the other side of the world to each other, being able to find our similarities and remember our childhoods together. 

That's what makes a quilt isn't it. The reasons why, and the memories, and the because, and the love. So, really, I can call this a quilt, rather than a throw or a blanket or something else. It's layers of beautiful fabric {our life} stitched together with thread {memories, love, tears, laughter, loss, growth}, and squashed around soft batting to keep us warm, cosy and loved. 



*You know when you're on one an escalator and the bit you're standing on goes slower than the bit your hand is resting on; you end up slightly pulled in your body - arm forward, legs with the rest of your body.
**I'm having issues with blogger saying that I've used up my free photo space (on PicasaWeb Album). Does anyone have hints on how to easily/quickly upload photos from Flickr in a batch. I only know a stupidly tedious way.......
More photos over here - if you want to see all the beautiful close ups that my new camera takes. 

9 comments:

  1. That is SO Lovely, just gorgeous! Your friend is lucky lucky lucky (I'm ashamed to say Kylie popped into my brain singing those luckies). And yes, that's exactly what a quilt is when you make it, full of lots of thoughts about the intended recipient, although when I was putting together my own quilt top I mostly thought about the fabrics. But that's still lots of thinking isn't it!

    So when you ask about uploading photos from Flickr in a batch do you mean to blogger for a post? As far as I know you can't but I'd love for someone to say I'm wrong! But you can upload to Flickr in batches if that's what you mean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful - I feel so lucky that I have seen the quilt in real life because it is such a work of art. I have also been gorging on your flicker photos and have loved them all. And the photos of the quilt are so beautiful too - I would frame the bottom one if I were you. Hope you are settling back into home life and are not too daunted by the big move. Lots of love, Kate xxooxx.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I paid for new photo space, cost about $5us for a lot of mgb, it was the only way I could work out how to keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ellie,
    Love your beautiful work.Sorry I can not help much. I am enjoying your pictures, I am also a proud owner of a new DSLR (probably not as flash as yours thought lol) and slowly looking forward to learning more...
    Hope you are dry and safe wherever you are.
    Sandrine xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. i LOVE this quilt!
    i quilt like you do - just cut fabrics i like and sew them together. there's nothing perfect about what i make, except all the love that goes into it. :) i love that you have memories and love and all kinds of pretty fabric - and a suggestion from your man! - all put together - that's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous12:30 pm

    Ellie your quilt is beautiful. I love the look and feel of Nani Iro fabrics. Have finally had time to catch up with a few of my favourite blogs.
    Talk Soon
    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ariane11:29 pm

    Beautiful and inspiring quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was a truly awesome challenge and ideally I can go to the following one. It was alot of fun and I truly had a ball..  Toronto Party Bus Rentals

    ReplyDelete
  9. An obligation of appreciation is all together for the critical information and encounters you have so given here... Toronto Party Bus

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your words and thoughts. I do so appreciate each and every visitor to my blog. While I try hard to reply to your comment, it often doesn't quite happen..... know that I'm sending you a thoughtful thanks xxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...